- Download the list of senators per brewers.
- View the talking points via Google docs
- Stick to contacting senators, not delegates at this time.
Logistics for the Hearing
- Where/Parking: We’ll meet in the Miller Senate Building at 11 Bladen Street in the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee (2 West Miller) room at 12:30pm. Parking options abound, but the nearest garage is Gott’s Court Garage. Here’s a list of garages.
- Security: Bring your ID. You can’t get in without it.
Testimony: We need a list of who’s testifying no later than 4pm Tuesday. Please make sure you express your interest in testifying here. Testimony will be short (2 min or less per individual) to describe your business and the impact of the bill as written. Depending on what happens with discussions tonight and tomorrow, our industry position may move from “oppose” to “support with amendments” if we get consensus on fixing the bill. More when we chat on the call. We will coordinate with you about talking points. It’s important to keep it short and not to repeat what others have said; each person presenting a unique angle is more effective than repeating others’ testimony.
Sample email from Brewers to Senators
Dear Senator ____,
I’m writing on behalf of _________[your brewery or startup]__, located in _______________, to express my concern about HB1283 which scheduled for a 3/29 Senate hearing. It’s meant to help brewers by raising how much of their own beer they can sell at their brewery, but at a great expense. The bill cuts brewery hours significantly and outlaws a brewer’s ability to brew beer at a neighbor brewery (common in the industry). Our Brewers Association of Maryland will propose amendments to help avoid the significant job losses and closures this bill would cause, and we hope you will support the local craft beer industry.
The bill will be heard in the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, and we hope you can encourage your fellow senators to support local brewers, who are the only segment of the industry being negatively impacted by this legislation. Please share any feedback you may have on the issue.